[ARSCLIST] December Issue of Black Grooves

The December edition of Black Grooves has now been posted at www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org>.  This month we're starting out with a list of notable new holiday CDs, followed by some great box sets that would make ideal gifts, including compilations devoted to Nina Simone, The Sounds of Philadelphia, Southern Soul, and Delmark Records. Featured DVDs include "I Got the Feelin': James Brown in the '60s," and "The Gospel at Colonus." Also featured is the latest release by the a cappella vocal group Take 6, which was just nominated for 3 Grammy Awards. As a tie-in to the nation-wide opening of the biopic "Cadillac Records," we've included a new Chess compilation featuring the original versions of the songs used in the movie. If you're still looking for stocking stuffers, don't miss our overview of the 2009 Classic Blues Calendar and CD.  Wrapping up this issue is a review of the recording debut by the Homemade Jamz Blues Band- three young Mississippi siblings who are setting the blues world on fire.

Enjoy- and have a happy holiday!

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music and Culture
Indiana University
bnelsons@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bnelsons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
www.indiana.edu/~aaamc<http://www.indiana.edu/~aaamc>
www.blackgrooves.org<http://www.blackgrooves.org/>