[ARSCLIST] 35mm magnetic film as a music-master recording method

Hi All:

I'm cookin' up some research here and I figured I throw a few questions out to the group. The topic: the use of 35mm mag-film as the main recording medium for music albums.

1. As far as I can tell, before Everest Records started using 35mm to do classical music recording sessions, the only prior use of 35mm as an album-recording or album-mastering medium was a few cases of film-soundtrack albums where the LP master was cut right from the 35mm soundtrack magnetic master. I think RCA issued a few of these early in the LP era but I'm not positive those were from 35mm magnetic masters (they might have been from optical masters from pre-magnetic film days). Any specific pre-Everest titles would be most appreciated. Everest's use of mag-film was circa 1959-60.

2. The mag-film trend was short-lived, I think. As far as I can tell, by 1964 or so, only Command Records was still regularly making 35mm mag-film masters for music albums. Any information on other labels aside from Command and Project 3 regularly using 35mm as their recording and mastering medium in the mid-60's would be appreciated. The last Mercury Living Presence film sessions were 1963. Mercury's pop Perfect Presence series ended in late 1961, if I recall correctly.

3. By the late 60's, I think only Enoch Light's Project 3 Records was still regularly recording and/or mastering to 35mm. If anyone has information different from this, I'd be most appreciative if they'd share it. I think Project 3 continued to use 35mm regularly into the early 70's, even creating 4-track quad masters. But I don't have any specifics about that era and Project 3, so any additional information is greatly appreciated.

For those shy and/or discreet, please feel free to ping me off-list and thank you in advnace.

Thanks!

-- Tom Fine