Re: [ARSCLIST] Mag on film cleaning

Jen,

_IF_ the film is still in good condition, the best approach might be an alcohol or HFE based ultrasonic cleaner (made by Lipsner-Smith). I would tend to avoid using perc cleaners, as they tend to shrink older acetate based film materials.

You should definitely consult a professional motion picture lab on this. We have used Colorlab in Maryland for some of our film cleaning, but I don't think they have HFE based equipment.

If the mag stripe is starting to de-laminate, do not clean the film using ultrasonic cleaning, as you will have no stripe left at the end of process. In a case like this, only hand cleaning should be done, using Ecco, or perhaps Renovex. However, I have not done any test to determine what the long-term effects of Renovex might be on mag stripe film, so I would proceed with caution.

A call to the George Eastman house would certainly be worthwhile. You could also post this to the AMIA list server [ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>]. This organization has a group of people who specifically deal with film and video materials, and would have a better idea of what resources are available.

Scott D. Smith
*Chicago Audio Works, Inc.
*

Jennifer Sidley wrote:
Bob -
It is mag stripe w/ images. It's camera original newsfilm, some of which has literally been through a hurricane, so it will need some cleaning. It is has tape residue and dirt in the image area, and the occasional dirt embedded in what is left of the track. It is pliable, not suffering from vinegar syndrome. Is there not a standard procedure for labs for dealing with film w/ this kind of damage? Thanks for the info!
Jen Sidley
Film Archivist
Mississippi Department of Archives and History

Robert J Hodge wrote:
Is this mag. stripe with an image on the film- or fullcoat with no
image?

I never saw anything that was so bad it needed cleaning. Especially if
it's fullcoat 16 mm stock. "Renovex" or "Vitafilm" can be used with
ventilation to condition nitrate or cellulose acetate based film. I don't think anything will help bond the oxide back to the base if the
binder has dried out. I'd try a little test with Vitafilm or Renovex if
I had some junk stock to do it with.
A lab might be able to do more than I'm aware of. My techniques are
somewhat antique, but I know they work with film with an optical
soundtrack.
If the film is just non pliant due to dryness, that might be why the
oxide is falling off.

BTW, Renovex and Vitafilm will dissolve tape spices, plastic reels, and
film cores. I put the film on a metal reel or core for processing. Tails
out.

Bob Hodge