From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Sidley
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 5:10 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mag on film cleaning

Bob -
It is mag stripe w/ images.  It's camera original newsfilm, some of
which has literally been through a hurricane, so it will need some
cleaning.  It is has tape residue and dirt in the image area, and the
occasional dirt embedded in what is left of the track.  It is pliable,
not suffering from vinegar syndrome.
Is there not a standard procedure for labs for dealing with film w/ this

kind of damage?
Thanks for the info!
Jen Sidley
Film Archivist
Mississippi Department of Archives and History

Robert J Hodge wrote:
> Is this mag. stripe with an image on the film- or fullcoat with no
> image?
>
> I never saw anything that was so bad it needed cleaning. Especially if
> it's fullcoat 16 mm stock. "Renovex" or "Vitafilm" can be used with
> ventilation to condition nitrate or cellulose acetate based film.
>
> I don't think anything will help bond the oxide back to the base if
the
> binder has dried out. I'd try a little test with Vitafilm or Renovex
if
> I had some junk stock to do it with.
>
> A lab might be able to do more than I'm aware of. My techniques are
> somewhat antique, but I know they work with film with an optical
> soundtrack.
> If the film is just non pliant due to dryness, that might be why the
> oxide is falling off.
>
> BTW, Renovex and Vitafilm will dissolve tape spices, plastic reels,
and
> film cores. I put the film on a metal reel or core for processing.
Tails

--
Jennifer Sidley