Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On 20/10/08, Clark Johnsen wrote:

> Quite so. But in my view there was another, earlier golden age,
> roughly 1928-1936. Many of those records sound superb, when rightly
> reproduced -- such as they never have been, in my experience, either
> on LP or CD.

The transfers of jazz recordings from that period done by JRT Davies for
labels such as Frog, Hep, and Retrieval sound superb on my equipment.
Especially the Victors.

I haven't heard quite such good transfers of any classical material,
although Andrew Walter at EMI has done a few very good ones recently for
the "Great Recordings of the Century" series.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx