Re: [ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Rob Poretti <r.poretti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> > A few of these facilities use those $1000+ AC cables.  I did not have the
> > balls to ask them to swap to a standard cable for my own curiosity, but I
> > can tell you *none* of the mastering engineers described the differences
> as
> > "major improvements".
>
> Again, the studio environment... these are not listening studios, these are
> recording (or mastering) studios.
> <SNIP>
>
> RP)  I'm sorry, but I beg to differ and I believe most audio professionals
> won't agree with that statement.

That you "beg to differ"? *That *statement? ;-)

Anyway: Now you're using the Appeal to Authority, so one must ask who elects
these authorities? Is it not the case, that they are a self-chosen lot? In
which case... well... I'm not so sure *I'd* appeal to *them!*
**
And earlier I named two prominent and successful engineers who are very much
on my side.

Besides all that, I'm an Audio Engineering Society Lifetime Member, hooray,
but I don't think you're going to ever ask me what *I* think!

>  Mastering rooms are built for critical
> listening.  I agree that the design criteria (neutrality with excellent
> translation to the outside world) might be different then in a personal
> listening room. (personal preference often based on a preferred music
> genre.)

And mastering rooms aren't designed by persons? Persons with, ah,
preferences?

> If you really feel this way,

Feelings have nothing to do with it.

OK: I *feel* the Wiki piece originally quoted by me was not only prejudicial
and pejoratively worded, but wholly untriangulated in Wiki's own terms.

But everyone has* felt* so captious over what they *feel* is the absurdity
of the referenced claim, they've seized on that rather than discuss the
unreasonableness of its use in the Wiki context. Which was* my* concern.

> then we have a serious void in our individual
> point of reference, to even continue the debate.... IMHO.

Awww.....

clark