[ARSCLIST] Aren't recordings original sources?

We've discussed in the past why Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but
I have just come across another reason why we in the recording field
should be outraged.  They do not accept a recording or a recording of a
broadcast as a reliable source of information.  What somebody writes
ABOUT the recording IS acceptable.  Back in the 1960s, Milo Ryan, the
man who saved the KIRO collection of CBS news broadcasts, which contains
almost the only source of CBS war coverage, in an early ARSC talk that
also appeared in the ARSC journal, cited a horror story where a student
at the University of Washington was given a failing grade on a history
research paper because he had used as the primary source the broadcast
recording of a speech rather than a transcript or newspaper story about
the speech.  It was a discussion of the outmoded academic distrust of
any source that was not on paper.  "Here are the recordings, where are
the scholars?" was the title of his talk. It seems that this asinine
attitude is still not dead.

Here is part of the discussion of what is suggested to be put in the
Wiki page on Bill O'Reilly.  (Let me first explain why I was looking at
Wiki in the first place and why this page of all pages.  Steven Colbert
had just stated that O'Reilly had won the Nobel Prize and he knows it is
true because it is on O'Reilly's Wiki page because he just changed it.
And that O'reilly had also been Pope.  Since I was sitting at the
computer I immediately went to the page and these changes had not been
made, so I went to the discussion page and saw that it had been put on
protection as soon as Colbert had said this on the broadcast.  It seems
that Wiki editors always watch The Colbert Report since he has talked
about making fake changes to Wiki before.)  Anyway, the discussion I'm
writing about concerned the blow-up O'Reilly had during a taping of
"Inside Edition" years ago.  They were wondering if they should include
a discussion of it.  Then came the idea that the recording of the event
itself was not an appropriate source.  Not just because it was on
YouTube but also because it is a recording and not a published written
description of the recording.

>>> (youtube)-Videos are usually not accepted in WP unless they are
>>> accomplished by a (written) 3rd hand reliable source (no blogs
>>> and forums, etc.). Scripts of a news show may qualify too.
>>> If you can provide one or more it may be included. --Floridianed

>> Don't be mislead; youtube is not the source, just the transport medium.
>> The primary source is the show itself (Inside Edition), but we can't go
>> introducing it as a primary source as doing so runs afoul of the original
>> research policy. However, there has been a substantial amount of mainstream
>> coverage in print and broadcast that serves as ample secondary sources to
>> which details of the event may be attributed. /Blaxthos

> It is Wikipedia policy that this kind of information needs to have been
> written about in a reliable,third party source. I'm not disputing that
> O'Reilly suddenly got angrybecause I know it is true, however if it did
> not gain considerablemedia coverage then it is of little relevance here. Happyme22

As a long time researcher I have long ago learned not to trust someone's
description of a recording or an article, but should reference the
actual recording and the actual article myself.  There are many books I
have that I use mainly as a finding aid to the sources that they used.
While we do have to worry that recordings on YouTube can be altered
versions and that electronic versions of newspaper articles are not as
trustworthy as photocopies or microfilm of the original newspapers, but
if the recording can be confirmed as being unaltered, why shouldn't it
be accepted as the MOST RELIABLE ORIGINAL source??

Michael Biel  mbiel@xxxxxxxxx