Re: [ARSCLIST] BASF LH 60

Further to my posting of yesterday re detached tapes in the cassette mechanism of BASF LH C60s, I have spent some time looking into the source of the problem. These are my findings so far:

In the period 1975-85 there are three distinct version of the BASF LH 60 cassette. Externally these differ municipally in the size and shape of the central window.

Prior to 1980 all tapes have a small window:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

c.1980-81 the window changes shape and size:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

After 1981 the window size is increased again:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/BASF1.jpg

In the small window version of the cassette the leader is attached to the spools using wide clips or cleats:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/cleats.jpg

In the later versions the fixing method is modified:

http://www.mikehirst.netfirms.com/BASF/spool.jpg

It is the earlier version of the cassette that is causing the problem (the image shows a selection of broken cleats).

In the later versions the fixing method is more reliable and can be viewed for verification prior to playing in the later large window version.

It seems to me that the greatest vulnerability in working with vintage cassette tapes is the tape mechanism itself. Following this experience I intend to spend some time collecting images and details of the internal mechanism of the cassettes I work with. If there is interest, I would be happy to share this information with others.

--
Mike Hirst
Managing Director

tel: 0191 289 3186