From: Eric Hollis <eric.hollis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Advice needed on how to restore an old acoustic recording
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 1:57 PM
Hi. I'm an amateur at sound restoration. I don't do
it as a profession, just as a hobby that I really enjoy.

I purchased a Rek-O-Kut CVS-16 turntable that will play up
to 16" discs, a Stanton 500 cartrige and two styli (2.75TC, 3.0E). I
transfer everything thru a flat phono preamp, and do all the restoration and EQ
in my software, DC7Live.
I'm trying to restore a recording from 1916. It's
on the Angelophone label. It is a vertical recording, seven inch, speech
only. I have several copies of the recording, but I think they've
all been damaged to one extent or another. I've tried playing them with a
2.75 TC diamond and a 3.0 E. The surface noise is quite pronounced. I
attached an mp3 of a very short segment of the recording to let you see what
I'm up against.
I don't have a microscope, and I don't want to
continue buying styli until I get the right one. My question: Would anyone on the list be willing to look at
and make a recommendation on the proper stylus to play these
recordings? I'm in New York, and I'd be willing to send the recording to
someone for evaluation and recommendation on what type stylus I should use. I
know it's a long shot, but I'd really like to do a good job restoring
these recordings. If anyone has any suggestions for a humble newbie, I'm
listening.

Thanks for considering.
Sincerely, Eric Hollis