To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury MG10000 series listing or discography

Mercury also had German radio tapes as LP sources, so the Heger Bamberg recordings were probably NOT Telefunkens.

dl

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi:

Returning to this thread. A few specifics --

1. who is the artist for
MG 10002 VIVALDI: CONCERTO GROSSO IN D MINOR OP. 3 #11;
MOZART DIVERTIMENTO IN D K. 251

2. does anyone know the artist/content of MG10019, specifically Side A?

3. Here's another one for the listings --
MG10076 - Brahms: Serenade No. 1 in D Major, Op. 11, Robert Heger conducting the Bamberg Symphony Orchestra (Recorded by the Bavarian Radio Co.) -- I believe this is one of the Telefunken recordings licensed from the Czech government in the late 40's. My LP is a very early-era LP, not even sure if it's made of vinyl.

4. can someone confirm that MG10090, side A, is the first part of the Brahms Piano Quartet No. 3, Albenari Trio (I am not familiar with this work, but the record is indeed chamber music)? If it is correct, then FYI it was recorded November 28-29, 1950 at Reeves Studios, using what's in the logs as "Altec mic." This was the last recording made for Mercury with a single Altec mic. The next session at Reeves, December 28, 1950, was the first use of the Neumann U-47 for symphonic recording in the U.S., Louisville Orchestra recording Schuman "Judith" and "Undertow." Those works were first released on MG10088.

5. does anyone know the artist/content of MG10124, side A?

6. ditto for MG10126, side B?

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:12 PM Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury MG10000 series listing or discography

From just such an album as I mentioned, which may have been used in Canada only (Mercury LPs aren't identified as Canadian, even though there was a large plant established here in 1949 which eventually became Quality). Note that artists aren't listed in all cases.

MG 10000 KHACHATURIAN VIOLIN CONCERTO (Oistrakh, we all know that)
MG 10001 ERNA SACK SINGS STRAUSS, Lehar & Popular Favorites
MG 10002 VIVALDI: CONCERTO GROSSO IN D MINOR OP. 3 #11;
MOZART DIVERTIMENTO IN D K. 251
MG 10003 CIMAROSA, MILAN, VAUGHAN WILLIAMS..the Mitch Miller album
MG 10004 not shown
MG 10005 ABRAM CHASINS & CONSTANCE KEENE PLAY JOHANN STRAUSS
(Best 2 out of 3)
MG 10006 not shown
MG 10007 not shown
MG 10008 SCHUBERT: STRING QUARTET #14..FINE ARTS QUARTET
MG 10009 ERNA IN THE SACK: MUSICAL TREASURES
MG 10010 BRAHMS QUARTYET #3 FOR PIANO & STRINGS OP. 60
MG 10011 BRAHMS QUARTET #1 IN G MINOR FOR PIANO & STRINGS OP. 25
MG 10012/24 not shown
MG 10025 ABRAM CHASINS PIANO SOLOS

MG 15000 TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 OVERTURE (+ Don Juan, not listed..Mengelberg)
MG 15001 SCHUMANN SYMPHONY #4..KEILBERTH, PRAGUE PHILHARMONIC
MG 15002 not shown
MG 15003 not shown
MG 15004 STRAUSS WALTZES..MELICHAR & "KEILBER" COND. BERLIN PHILHARMONIC
MG 15005 SHOSTAKOVICH TRIO IN E MINOR OP. 67

I'll list 2000s etc. later.

dl

David Lennick wrote:
Best place would be the back of one of the old albums, where they listed available recordings in lieu of liner notes (I'm wondering if this occurred more on the Canadian issues which used generic jackets with a die-cue hole at times). This will get the first few or dozen numbers in each series, if nothing else. Today is a busy day so I may not get to this until later.

dl

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi All:

Does anyone have a listing or better yet a discography of the Mercury MG10000 series, the first LP's? I couldn't find anything of much use online, just a few snippets here and there. Surprisingly, none of the LPs I have list any other titles on the back cover and this was pre-inner sleeves so no complete listing like started appearing for the later MG50000 series once inner sleeves became the norm.

If someone has started such a list, I'll be happy to include the bits and pieces I have in my own collection. There's also a few references to some of these albums in John Hammond's autobiography (for instance the recordings of Oistrakh and Shostakovich made in Prague in 1946 and the Oistrahk/Khachaturian recording made in Russia, and some general info about the Czech-captured German Telefunken recordings from WWII era, and some references to the original recordings of Mitch Miller playing oboe chamber music).

Anyway, a complete listing of these LPs would be most helpful.

-- Tom Fine