Re: [ARSCLIST] Les Paul (second try)

After making ten successful sound on sound passes, a mistake during the
eleventh pass would effectively erase all ten previous passes, and it must have
occurred to Les that a way to avoid this disaster would be to make a safety
dub of the tenth pass.

But how could he make a dub if he had only one tape recorder? He could have
made a disc dub, since he had a lathe. Or, he could have taken his tapes to
Capitol to have dubs made. But presumably he did neither. I sure would
like to ask him about this.

It is interesting to me that after he got the eight-track (octopus) from Ampex,
he never again (in my opinion) made the kind of brilliant recordings which he'd
made with his modified mono deck. (Like the centipede which, asked how it
could coordinate the motion of all those legs, could never walk thereafter?)

As for tape delay, check out his brilliant "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", where
the repetition rate of the delay fits perfectly the tempo of that song.

Doug Pomeroy
POMEROY AUDIO
Audio Restoration & Mastering Services
193 Baltic St