Re: [ARSCLIST] cassette crackle

Mike Hirst wrote:
Here's a thing that's been confusing me for some time. I have spent the past six months working my way through a large number of cassette tapes mostly recorded between 1985 and 1995. every now and again I notice light, but significant crackling. This is often more noticeable in the right channel, but not exclusively so. On some recordings this is louder, on most recordings this is not evident at all. This is not restricted to any one brand of cassette, nor is it associated with any one playback machine and/or soundcard. Can anyone explain this for me?

It's hard to offer suggestions without hearing the noise. Is there a chance you could post a sample either at a WWW site to which you have access or at one of the (free) FTP sites such as RapidShare and YouSendIt?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/