Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration of broken records...

Dick Spottswood wrote:

Just for the record, the tune's from 1932, well past the silent film era.

There was still a huge inventory of perfectly serviceable silent prints in distributor hands and they wanted to use them however possible until they wore out.

Grind houses that had turntables could run these prints playing a sound track from recorded discs, and this went into the mid 30's until all the prints were being made with married optical soundtracks.

I think these records were for intermission use, probably to plug songs featured in the show.

Some were designed for intermission use such as the Victor Overtures and Exits "OE" series, but I don't think these ARC's were specifically intended for that use although they could have. No paper describing their use has been located.

With the same performance on both sides, you could play it in the dark without needing to know which side was which.

Projection booths were lit for the projectionist to see what he was doing... he was definitely not in the dark!

Nice restoration and reproduction too!

Thank you for the comment.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.