[ARSCLIST] Fwd: RIAA EQ software

Apologies for my previous post which was unreadable.

doug

From: Doug Pomeroy <pomeroyaudio@xxxxxxx>
Date: August 26, 2008 11:30:05 AM EDT
To: ARSCLIST automatic digest system <LISTSERV@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RIAA EQ software

But as for the pleasure-listening and commercial transfer/ remastering process, I think aesthetics
matter more than perfect adherence to a curve designed for a perfect world. In the real world, the
"encode" curve was not always followed well and thus tweaking is needed.

Tom's comment (above) is important and often overlooked by those who want to construct an RIAA
"absolutely accurate" RIAA playback curve. If you think all disc cutters implemented the record curve
with absolute accuracy, you probably also believe in Santa Claus. The resistors and capacitors
which produce the time constants create an approximation of the ideal curve, and we all know what
happens to caps as they age. But I'm not making an argument that we shouldn't try to reproduce the
curve as best we can. (The bass curve is not up +3dB at 500Hz, it is +2.6.)

Doug