Re: [ARSCLIST] Vinyl Disc and LP Jacket Preservation

Hi Stephen,

It has been our experience over the past 25 yrs. that quality, plain acid-free white paper sleeves are all that is required for safe storage providing the surfaces are thoroughly cleaned & keep in a reasonable environment. All quality text stock produced today is buffered & will have a minimum lifetime of 50 years.

Plastics sleeves should be avoided & there is simply no documentation to justify the cost of rice paper sleeves other than the abundance of rice pulp in the world. Just another high-end audio gimmick.

What is most critical to long term storage of vinyl & shellac discs is thorough cleaning. Thorough cleaning affords long term protection against mold & mildew growth for both media by removing the feed stocks required for growth. Until a year ago we stored over a thousand thoroughly cleaned shellac & vinyl discs dating back over 100 years, many in old, contaminated sleeves that were only "cleaned" by being aired out. Some were stored in the open, some in closed metal cabinets & all in an 1890's home that had never been renovated, without air conditioning, having original gravity feed heating [winter temps keep at 50-55F. After more than 20 years, representative samples played without any indication of damage & by light microscopy were free of growth. The standing mold & mildew levels within this home required me to wear an MSA mask with a HEPA filter to avoid serious assault to my allergies if visits were longer than 10 min.

The most critical feature is thorough cleaning.

Regards,

Duane Goldman