Re: [ARSCLIST] ET help!

On Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:20 PM, Sammy Jones wrote:

> In the past I've used my finger against the head shell to
> force the stylus to play through problem grooves, and edited
> the resulting dub back into a complete program, but I don't
> think that will work here.  The gaps are pretty wide, so the
> chance of my nudging the stylus into the correct groove
> four times every revolution for seven minutes is pretty slim!

Remember that skating forces increase with stylus friction (a
simple vector diagram of the forces at the stylus will make
this clear).

Therefore, if you want to reduce the skating:

   - REDUCE the VTF (vertical tracking force)
   - REDUCE the disc speed (RPM)

See my earlier posts in the past few weeks on how to compute
pitch shift in semitones/cents.

Rather than use your finger, consider using a brush as others
have pointed out.  A one or two-inch horse hair brush works well
I find.  Apply the lateral pressure towards the middle of the
tonearm, or even at the back of the tonearm.  Be careful not to
apply vertical force (up or down) while applying horizontal
force, because this will change the skating.  My turntable is
located such that I have plenty of arm/elbow support so that
I can apply very steady and gentle lateral force as required.

This is truly tedious work, often requiring multiple passes
and assembling what you have in the DAW.  On the very worst
cases, I'll transfer a batch of 10-20 grooves and immediately
re-assemble them in the DAW while the work is fresh in my
mind, then go on to the next batch of grooves.

More tips:

   - do NOT clean the disc - fluid will make the laminate
     swell or bubble, and more likely to delaminate
   - do NOT attempt to remove or re-attach the laminate.  This
     is nothing but trouble
   - transfer with FLAT EQ - you'll be able to control the
     noise and transients better in restoration

Shrinkage tends to be uniform, so the grooves should still
line up for the most part.

Experience helps.  This may - or may not - be the right
recording to cut your proverbial teeth on.

Best of luck!

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
Tel: 408.221.2128