Re: [ARSCLIST] The Hope of Audacity...

At 12:36 PM 2008-08-19, Bob Olhsson wrote:

A very simple, although obviously not conclusive test is to record a 16 bit
source in a 24 or 32 bit file and count the active bits that come out which
should still be 16, assuming dithering has been disabled for test.

For those keeping score, I accidentally made this test and I believe that both WaveLab and Samplitude passed. One interesting thing to note was that the analog dithering produced very interesting results <smile>. Maybe 9 bits were really being used!

I tell you folks, I get in some very interesting (but sometimes horrid) tapes!

For those wanting to look into this, if you have access to WaveLab, it's file compare utility is very useful.

Cheers,

Richard