To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] large scale flat-bed scanner

Hello Tom

On 14/08/08, Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Frank:

THANKS for a less-costly alternative. I had a MicroTek way back for my
first scanner in the mid-90's. It was an SCSI model and that's the
only reason I don't use it now (none of my current computers have SCSI
cards), aside from that it's slow. Yeah, it cost $300 back then even
as a factory-refurb, but it made wonderful scans and had the best
auto-color/auto-contrast settings I've ever used. 95+% of what came
off the scanner needed zero work in Photoshop, I usually scanned right
into Acrobat because I knew I could trust the results. It also put out
reliably crisp text for easy OCR work.

I will absolutely look at this large-format Microtek. I didn't know
they were still in business, I figured HP and Epson had driven all the
small guys out of the scanner biz by commoditizing the mainstream
market at $50-75 for a home-use scanner.

It looks good, but the maximum width is only 12 inches, and LP sleeves
are nearly 12 1/2 inches square.

Regards
--
Don Cox