Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendations for oral history digitization equipment

At 12:37 PM 8/15/2008, Eric Jacobs wrote:
In my opinion, the short list of commercial software on a PC
should include:

Steinberg Wavelab
Adobe Audition
Sony Soundforge

Those three programs are also top in my opinion, although I have reservations about recommending Wavelab to someone on a budget. Especially for someone that's not a professional recordist and might not be able to unlock all its features. SoundForge always seemed the most intuitive interface for me, especially the keyboard shortcuts.

Wavelab also has very good BWF metadata editing built into it.
The last time I checked Soundforge, BWF metadata was not
supported.  BWF is an important preservation format and
standard, and should be a consideration.

SoundForge does have some metadata capabilities, but it's been a couple years since I've used it (version 7).