Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendations for oral history digitization equipment

At 12:20 PM 8/13/08, John S wrote:
Anyway, your thoughts on a good USB interface,

Don't need one, IMHO. Plug it into the line-in of the sound card or sound inputs of the on-board sound provisions.

a good and inexpensive pair of monitors,

No such animal, IMHO. I have yet to hear one set of Guitar Center grade "monitors" I like.

headphones,

I like AKG, but that's me. I've had some fairly good results with the small in-ear type headphones.

and on suitable software would be most appreciated.

For me, it is Sound Forge. I bought Version 6 (current is version 9) and am still running it. Perfectly adequate for transfer duty, which is what I've used it for. If you are looking to do 16bit/44.1KHz transfers of your cassettes and other tapes, this will be fine. If your goal is just to do as clean a transfer as possible warts and all (that would be my goal), just make copies with Sound Forge and don't worry about plug-ins.

Sound Forge is very easy to work with. If they ever come out with a version that runs under LINUX, I would buy it in a heartbeat.