Re: [ARSCLIST] Blumlein on Line

In this mp3 the Blumlein stereo portion seems to be out of phase. It pretty much cancels out when mixed to mono but comes through loud and clear mixed with one channel inverted. The announcer and mono material is correct.

Martin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Abrams" <steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:42 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Blumlein on Line

I have just posted the Blumlein broadcast (The Archive Hour, Radio 4, last Saturday) as 192k stereo MP3. The file size is 78 MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7ef53af636b1e8627541323020eea3c56dacf1ad495bf0b7

I think the sound should be acceptable and quite vivid in places.

There is some stereo information in the Beecham.

Symposium issed four 78rpm sides of the Beecham on vinyl 78s a few years ago. They thought there was little or no stereo information on these discs.

I copied the broadcast from the hard disc of my standalone recorder to DVD. I then played the disc on my computer using Nero and recorded the sound to 16 bit stereo wave using Total Recorder. I used Goldwave to convert the sound to 192k MP3.

The statistics in Nero said the audio was 256k Dolby digital.

I think the standard for the disc is MPEG 2. I think that Nero would have recorded the program in MPEG 2 if I had let it. But a number of downloaders would have been confused.

Steve Abrams