Re: [ARSCLIST] more lacquer disk questions

On Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:57 PM, Trey Bunn wrote:

> The tricky part was determining exactly how much to pitch
> shift the imported sound to make it sound like 78rpm again
> (up 15 semitones, in case anyone else is curious).

14.78 semitones (33.33 to 78.26 RPM)
14.72 semitones (33.33 to 78.00 RPM)

The human ear can detect pitch differences as small as
8 cents (or 0.08 semitones), so precision does matter.

Since I make this calculation regularly, I've created a
simple Excel spreadsheet for computing pitch shifts.

Feel free to email me privately if you'd like a copy of
the spreadsheet.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
Tel: 408.221.2128