Re: [ARSCLIST] Ping [was: Homer and Jethro Vinyl}

Ping is a network utility that sends an echo request to a distant computer and reports the amount of time needed to receive a response. It's called "ping" because it resembles a ship's sonar system that produces a "ping" sound when it returns an echo.

Many people claim that it's short for Packet InterNet Groper, but the person who wrote the original software denied it.

You can try it: go to a command prompt and type "ping" followed by an Internet address. You will see the result on your screen.

John Ross