Re: [ARSCLIST] aluminum disk question

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Trey Bunn wrote, and John Ross and David Lennick have already answered most
of the queries.

However, classification-wise there are aluminum discs pure and simple, but
this is not one of those. The aluminum discs were pre-grooved, Fairchild were
among the first to make embossing equipment for recording on them, and they
have to be treated very differently from the thing you have, a lacquer disc.

If aluminum discs have been played with heavy soundboxes or pickups they are
almost ruined. I have spent 8 hours correcting derailings under the
microscope on one 10" record side by simply massaging some edge back to re-
create groove walls. This embossable aluminum is incredibly soft and
malleable under the microscope.

As to the lacquer discs (sometimes erroneously called 'acetates'), the
recording turntable had to struggle real hard to rotate the disc at the
proper constant speed when it was cutting, and you needed not just the center
pin for centering, but it was threaded, so that you could use a nut to clamp
the centre to the turntable. If that was not enough, the turntable had an off-
set pin that went through one of the other holes, so that it did not slip at
all. For reproduction that was unneccesary.

Kind regards,

George