Re: [ARSCLIST] Glue on lacquer

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Dave Lennick wrote:

> I was sent some early 50s Soundcraft lacquers to transfer, and after I
> cleaned
> off the palmitic acid these were very clean..except that one disc seems to
> have
> come into contact with glue or corn syrup or some other substance which has
> spread over the first two minutes in one area. The stuff is hard, not
> sticky,
> and is in a lace-like pattern, not a solid glob, and it plays through (and
> will
> probably scrape off but I'd rather not do that to the grooves). Any
> suggestions
> that don't involve ordering a special product and waiting for its arrival?
> GooGone? Lighter fluid? Once again, the stuff isn't sticky.

----- corn syrup ought to be water soluble. Otherwise, I think that this may
be a stereo microscope job. I use diminutive tools to my own designs, and if
you probe along a groove where it meets the edge of the stuff, you observe
carefully while trying to get under it. At microscopic dimensions, everything
is soft; vinyl is like butter, so is aluminum of the kind used for pre-
grooved records. Even the hard stuff will display observable flexibility.
When you lift the stuff; which is likely to be translucent, you will see
optical fringes due to the distance to the lacquer created. Try to see if you
can pry it loose, or if it holds on to the lacquer. If it does, you need
agents; paraffin might do the trick. WD-40 might do the trick, but if you are
going to use it on records, try to see in the microscope what happens to the
lacquer under a droplet of the liquid (goes for anything you might want to
try) on an unrecorded bit near the label. Dependent on the area involved be
prepared for many hours of painstaking work. Have fun, or call in the
Incredible Shrinking Man.

Kind regards,

George