Re: [ARSCLIST] Overtone records recording equipment from the late Richard C. ...

Responsible and accountable ? I doubt it very much.

B.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:09 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Overtone records recording equipment from the
late Richard C. ...

I would certainly campaign for acceptance of the donation by the AWA,
now
that we have considerably added to out storage space. However the
administration
 of the organization is in a state of transition; whether this helps or
not
is  unknown.

Donation of a collection to a public institution "should" be a way to
preserve it for future generations since it then belongs to the public.
The  trouble
is that, what belongs to everybody, belongs to nobody. What happens to
it
depends entirely on the abilities and interests of those in charge of it
at
various times.

I would be interested in a discussion of the various legal requirements
on
the care of collections for various state chartered educational and
historical
museums. Can anyone be held responsible for caring for the artifacts?

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 7/10/2008 2:29:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,