From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of George Brock-Nannestad
Sent: Wed 7/9/2008 08:24
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Wax vs. lacquer; was: Re: [ARSCLIST] RCA 1958 promo film(s)

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Michael Shoshani wrote:

> To my knowledge, the general practice, at least in England, was to heat
> the wax to nearly 100 degrees F in a purpose-built oven, rather than
> heating the stylus. Both HMV and Columbia (and later EMI) were doing
> this in the studio and in mobile recording trucks, although I have no
> idea whether this was done by their remote engineering crews traipsing
> all over Europe, Asia, the Near and Middle East, and Africa.

----- furthermore, an incandescent bulb (lit) was placed inside the recording
machine to keep it at a reasonable temperature. This would also serve to the
minimize any temperature shock of placing the warm wax on the machine. An
inhouse rule, which was early and stemmed from VTMC in the acoustic days was
that the wax should be at blood temperature.

The Danish broadcasting used wax in the 1930s, and they heated the wax for
recording and refrigerated it before replay. This reduced the wear.

Kind regards,

George

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07 : www.bl.uk/mylibrary

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.