In this age of Indie releases over the internet, we will never be able to keep pace with the release of music. Never. Of course, some is without much merit, but that begs the point. We collect music because it is Us, our souls and our identity somehow. No one on this list serve (I suspect) does it for the pay. Collecting music and archiving it has no future at the bank window, I'm afraid.

My biggest concern about my little collection-----my real concern---- is what happens to it when I expire. Any thoughts on that would be really worth reading!

Doug in White Stone
On Jun 23, 2008, at 1:48 AM, Stephen M.H. Braitman wrote:

If you've gotten to the point where you're asking this question, then, yes, you have too much music.

In most cases, with collectors, it's the heirs who answer the question.

Date:    Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:14:01 -0400
From:    Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FBI Warning

To those with the appropriate mind-set and sensibilities, a record
collection functions as a source of musical nourishment and also as a
component of a research tool, a personalized sonic encyclopedia.

Not all people have their brains wired identically. What seems
incomprehensible to those whose switchboards are wired otherwise is the most
natural thing for many on this listserv.

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message----- From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Abrams Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:31 AM To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning

Here is a concise answer. Assuming that you listen to music for three hours

a day and that your records are already digitised so you don't have to pull
them out and put them on the turntable one by one, it will take you fifty
years to listen once to everything you have. This assumes that you are
undiscriminating. If you also like to play favourites it will take you a
hundred years to cycle through the lot.

I conclude that you have too much music and also that you have too many
records. Of course this is only my humble opinion.

Of course you are a "discographer" and may feel that changes everything.

Steve Abrams

(There is a Steve Abrams who is a discographer, but it's not me.)