Re: [ARSCLIST] Quad and SACD (was Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning)

I don't think you've got this quite right. There is room on any SACD for a 5.1 channel surround mix plus an SACD stereo mix in addition to the stereo CD layer. On most hybrids the stereo CD channel is mastered from DSD and is equivalent to the SACD stereo. However, on the Mercury SACD series the CD layer is taken from the mix by Wilma Cozart Fine used for the earlier Living Presence CD reissues in the '90s. I think?

Steve Abrams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Shoshani" <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Quad and SACD (was Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning)

Tom Fine wrote:

But then, finally, the hybrid capacity comes on line and what uses most of the manufacturing in the world for the first few months (at least according to numerous accounts I've heard)? 2-CHANNEL remasters of the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan 1960's catalogs! Back to the future, SACD as a "superior stereo" format again, yet most people bought the discs to play on regular old CD players. By the time that dust had settled and variety of hybrid discs with 5.1 SACD and 2-ch CD layers were on the market, consumer interest in the format was gone and the number of universal DVD/SACD players was limited, plus there were no-name Chinese DVD players at Wal-Mart for $35 in time for Christmas.

You know what would be very interesting is to produce a hybrid SACD with a "normal" stereo mix plus the separate multitracks. As I type this it just dawned on me that your mother did exactly that with the Mercury Living Presence SACD issues...

Admittedly, the Mercury Living Presence SACDs were only THREE tracks :D, but there have to be some pop music fans-cum-gearheads who would love to be able to try their hand at remixing some venerable 4-, 8- 16- or even 48-track masters in their home studios.

Michael Shoshani