Re: [ARSCLIST] ARSCLIST Digest - 11 Jun 2008 to 12 Jun 2008 (#2008-161)

Good Morning,
after reading the post yesterday regarding the magazine, Reminiscence I wondered if anyone collected the Etude Magazine?  I have many copies, dating from the late 1800's through the 1950's (I think?) I would have to get them out and look through them again.  There are so many great articles in each issue covering voice,piano, instruments etc.  Thanks for bringing up the subject, now I want to get them out and read them all over again!  Some of the most interesting reading was of course in the 1940's during the war.

Jackie

From: ARSCLIST automatic digest system <LISTSERV@xxxxxxx>
Date: 2008/06/12 Thu PM 11:00:19 CDT
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ARSCLIST Digest - 11 Jun 2008 to 12 Jun 2008 (#2008-161)

Topics of the day:

  1. Caruso book (3)
  2. Cataloging software
  3. 2008 Proposed Amendments to Canada's Copyright Act (3)
  4. Can you help with copies of The Record Changer mag? (2)

I have the November, 1909 Strand Magazine.  It contains "My Reminiscences"
by Enrico Caruso.  This is part VIII.

In what issues did the rest appear?  In how many parts was it?  No it's not
a counterpoint question.

Did he really write this?  It's pretty early in his career to do a "my
life-so far."

Did this ever appear in book form?

Steve Smolian

I am interested to hear what commercial products people are using to
catalog audio and video recordings, store technical metadata, etc. and
whether you are happy with it.  We are in the market for a new system.
Feel free to reply on or off list.

Thank you,

Kevin Irelan

Steve,

Talk to John Bolig at jbolig@xxxxxxxx  He should know, if anyone.

Howard Friedman

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=3570473&Language=e&Mode=1&File=27#1

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a blog (opposes the proposed amendments) on the subject

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/

>>> "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 6/12/2008 3:02 PM >>>
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=3570473&Language=e&Mode=1&File=27#1

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sorry because I lost the messages before this regarding Caruso but I'm
interested in having more information about the issue you quoted. Is it
possible to know the main topics of it?
Thank you
Simona Frasca

> I have the November, 1909 Strand Magazine.  It contains "My Reminiscences"
> by Enrico Caruso.  This is part VIII.
>

> In what issues did the rest appear?  In how many parts was it?  No it's
not
> a counterpoint question.
>

> Did he really write this?  It's pretty early in his career to do a "my
> life-so far."
>

> Did this ever appear in book form?
>

> Steve Smolian
>

> --
10.29

I wished they worked as hard in reducing laws - like maybe get rid of the levy on tapes
and CDs...

George

Richard L. Hess wrote:
> http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=3570473&Language=e&Mode=1&File=27#1
>

> Richard L. Hess                   email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Aurora, Ontario, Canada       (905) 713 6733     1-877-TAPE-FIX

I received the following message from Irwin Chusid who handles the Jim  Flora
Archive of Flora's Lp Covers. I am not able to help him but I'm sure some  of
you can.

You may contact him direct at: _Irwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:Irwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx)

Steve Ramm

 I am the archivist for the estate of the late artist JamesFlora, who
illustrated jazz and classical record covers for Columbia and RCAVictor in the
1940s and 1950s.

A friend in CA discovered a Columbia Records ad ("Blues  by Basie," see
attached) in the JAN 1945 issue of RC, and that ad was  obviously (to my
eyes, and confirmed by Gene) illustrated by Flora.   Gene and Flora were
great friends and artistic influences on each other. I'm  trying to determine
if any other ads illo'ed by Flora appeared in early  issues of RC. Flora was
art director of Columbia from 1943 (after Alex  Steinweiss, who hired him)
until 1945 (succeeded by Robert M. Jones). Any ads  for Columbia, Okeh and
Masterworks (and no other label) which featured  cartoonish illustrations
during these years are likely Flora. Do you have  vintage issues from
pre-1946, and if so, can you determine if any ads by  Flora appeared?

Thanks for any assistance in my  research.
Regards

Irwin  Chusid

Actually, I'm the "friend from California" who discovered the drawing. I'm doing research on Record Changer in relation to my work on the Jazz Man Record Shop and would be interested in finding these early copies as well.

Cary Ginell