And no, it wasn't the same material played out of each source. This was a non profit demo for the individual listeners to try different models of headphones so "they" could make up their own minds, with their different listening preferences, which ones they liked rather than having to read about them or take someone else's word for what is better for different kinds of headphone listening.
I just wanted to give the other members of the list my (biased) opinion and a list of fairly low cost downloads so they could give them a try.
Steve Koto
On Jun 8, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Steve Abrams wrote:

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. How did you reproduce the SACD selections? On what equipment?
Give a detailed answer including the price of the player and further details of the tape and FLAC playback. Were they the same material? What exactly is the Apogee Duet interface. You are saying that PCM CDs sound better than DSD SACDs. You are also saying that the CD layer of an SACD sounds better than the SACD layer. You are indeed "extremely biased".

SA

----- Original Message ----- From: "carlstephen koto" <cskoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FLAC

I had an exhibit at a conference outside of Portland Or a couple of weeks ago, demoing high quality music sources. The exhibit featured master tape dubs (1/2 track 15ips) from the Tape Project, SACD playback and Linn Records 24/96 downloads through an Apogee Duet interface. The tapes stomped everything (I am extremely biased in this case) but I did find that 'some' of the classical and jazz downloads (FLAC) were audibly more realistic than any of the SACD selections I had. I found the selection Giga de Coreli from La Guitarra Espanola/William Carter guitar, any number of cuts from the Arnie Somogyi' Ambulance (small ensemble jazz) and "Enough" from Judith Owens album "Happy This Way." to put the 'download/FLAC files best foot forward. I you wish to sample these, you can download single songs for fairly cheap. As a desktop player I used sbooth.org "Play".
Steve Koto