Re: [ARSCLIST] NBC chimes and routing

John Ross wrote:
Without a lot more research, I can't add much to the configuration of AT&T lines for the NBC radio networks, but I do know that the pre-satellite NPR network lines were split into "round robin" loops...[that] allowed any station on that part of the network to
originate programming to the whole network with a simple patch at the nearest AT&T program operating center.

NBC did something similar on the west coast in their early days. I really don't remember all the details (they are spelled out quite clearly on at least two sites that deal with NBC's West Coast network as it applies to San Francisco), but the gist of it was that NBC programming from the west coast originated in San Francisco during the 1930s and was carried in a one-way loop that terminated in Los Angeles. San Francisco could receive programming from the east for circulating on this loop, and could originate both for the loop and for the east coast (but not the latter while receiving programming), but other stations on this loop could not feed back to San Francisco.

That's why until the very late 1930s anything on the network from Hollywood had to go straight to Chicago for network feeding - apparently it was more convenient to do it that way than to try to route it to San Francisco where the network origin point was.

The rest of the NBC network was not like this, but was rather splayed out much like a railroad, with any station capable of feeding the network should it be necessary. This was usually reserved for important diplomatic speeches or very special events; all standard programming for NBC originated at the handful of stations owned by the network that were designated as studio points of origin in New York, Chicago, Cleveland, San Francisco, and Washington.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago