Re: [ARSCLIST] Glass Records

on 5/28/08 10:20 AM US/Central, Marcos Sueiro Bal at mls2137@xxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> Of 1,925 with metal substrate, 375 have evidence of palmitic acid (19%).
> Of 123 glass-based, 22 have evidence of palmitic acid (18%).

I don't have any data on palmitic (hexadecanoic) acid on different
phonograph disk bases, but I've always noticed far less peeling and cracking
of lacquer disks when they were glass based.

I attributed this difference to the much lower coefficient of expansion of
glass vs. aluminum, but I'm open to other suggestions. See

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

--
Parker Dinkins
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration