Re: [ARSCLIST] Glass Records

If you're talking about AudioDiscs, the center portion is actually cardboard and frequently pops out unless the label is still holding it in place. I have a couple of 16-inch cracked AudioDiscs here and the discs need to be levelled before I can play them.

dl

Jeanette Berard wrote:
Maybe this is uncommon, but some of my glass discs have a mix - the center area substrate is metal, and the recordable area substrate is glass.

The light test works fine on them!

Jeanette Berard, MLS, CA Special Collections Librarian Thousand Oaks Library System (805) 449-2660 xt228 jberard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"joe@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jsalerno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/20/2008 4:14 PM >>>
Or you can also look at the center hole, if the substrate appears to be metal, that's a clue. Glass and metal look very different.

joe salerno

David Lennick wrote:
If one of them was recorded in the 30s, there's little chance that it'll be glass based unless it's a dub made between 1941 and 1946. Still best to handle these with the greatest of care, but you can easily identify a glass disc by holding it up to the light. If no light passes through, even faintly, you have aluminum based discs (or steel or cardboard).

dl

etreble7 wrote:
Hi to all,
I don't usually post to the forum, however I read it daily and enjoy it. I have 3 Records made on Glass that were my Aunts. 2 records, recorded in the 40's are of the Stewart Sisters (backup group for Rudy Vallee, she was Jean) and one is a recording, done in the 30's of her group, "The Girlfriends Trio". I was hoping someone could direct me to a good internet site or book to educate myself about these records.

Also, I am sure there is a special way to store them, right now I have them in a large, 78rpm Album in a verticle position. Any thoughts? Thanks so much,
Jackie

----- Original Message ----- From: "ARSCLIST automatic digest system" <LISTSERV@xxxxxxx>