From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Eric Jacobs
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 6:38 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Diapason Turntables

Here at The Audio Archive we use the Simon Yorke S7 turntable
configured for 16-inch and 20-inch discs.  This is the same
platform that the Library of Congress uses here in the States,
as do other major archives worldwide.  It can handle the widest
range of discs of any turntable that I know of, including metal
parts (reversible motor and headshell) and obscure dictation
discs.

The Simon Yorke turntables also have some unique features like
a removable spindle (model S7) or a variable spindle diameter
(model S10) for off-center discs.  It is also one of the few
(only?) turntables with an optional full 16-inch (or even
20-inch) platter, which makes a huge difference in sound quality
when the disc is fully supported.

The Simon Yorke turntables were designed expressly for archival
work, but the quality of the design, materials and workmanship
are such that the Simon Yorke turntables have a strong following
among the audiophile community - just a testament to the sound
quality.

The Simon Yorke turntables are not inexpensive, but their
performance and quality are unrivaled for archival work.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
T. 408.221.2128
F. 408.549.9867