Re: [ARSCLIST] The first direct cut and taped lps

In the liner notes from my LP "ml (no caps in album
cover stylized printing) 4095" it says,

 "To us, the collectors, assembling these sounds was
distinctly a labor of love.  We spent the better part
of two years listening to more than five houndred
hours of old broadcasts. More than one hundred hours
were transferred onto magnetic tape, and it was from
these one hundred hours that the forty-five minutes of
"I Can Hear It Now" were distilled.  Our regret is
that in those priceless ninety-nine hours and fifteen
minutes we left on the cutting-room floor was
contained enough material for a dozen more albums, any
one of them as useful as the one we have assembled.

 Perhaps these miles of sound tape, magnetized with
the magic of history, may yet be salvaged, and we may
try our hand at a book for ear devoted solely to those
five days of Munich, or the twenty-four hours of
D-Day, or the saga of atomic fission, or the first
ninety days of the New Deal.  We like to think we
will.

Edward R. Morrow and Fred W. Friendly"

And, of course they did, and "the rest is history"!

On the back cover is "A Partial Listing of the Many
Superb Columbia LP Records" with similar numbers to
the Morrow album (i.e., ML 4000 series, a couple of
the ML 2000s and the "popular records" CL 6000s),so
one would guess that magnetic tape was used at least
for those numbers higher than the Morrow ML 4095.

Rod Stephens