From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:13 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] question about remote recordings from the 20-30s

I've heard versions of the same thing but I wonder if it's true. Look at the
dates for the Western
Electric patents on electronic recording, it's the late 20's. Patents run
longer than 20 years,
don't they, or were they shorter then? You'd think WECO could have figured
some twist to extend or
renew the patents but maybe the law was much different then? As late as the
mid-50's, Ampex tape
recorders still cited WECO patents being used with permission, for things
like feedback circuits in
their tape deck preamps and the like.

On the other hand, evidence is that many independent recording services and
studios sprang up after
the end of WWII, so something was going on.

-- Tom Fine