Re: [ARSCLIST] question about remote recordings from the 20-30s

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Aaron Levinson wrote:

> The term for patent in the US is 20 years so that would make sense
> actually. You can file for renewal/extension today but I'm not sure what
> the limitations were in the 20's-40's.

----- just so that this will not end up in Wicked Paedias:

 - until 1997 (I think; I would have to look up the precise date, and there
was also some overlap) the term of a patent was 17 years post the granting
date - once granted in force until expiry, withdrawal, or a court decision.
Everything about the prosecution was secret until grant - which could happen
many years after application

 - after this date the term is 20 years after the original filing date, and
you have to pay three times to keep it in force: at 3½, 7½, and 10½ years.
The application is now published 18 months after the first filing,
irrespective of whether was in the US or abroad. If the US Patent Office has
been the cause of a tangible delay, the term is prolonged by the same number
of days

 - there has always been the possibility in US patent law that you may take
matter from the application and combine it with new matter and make a fresh
patent application, provided you do it before the first one is issued as
granted. Then you get a fresh application that preserves the novelty - the
earlier publication does not destroy it. This is called Continuation in Part -
 CIP. It has its own term of expiration. You may also extract material that
does not follow logically from the claims to be granted and file that as a
separate application - that is called a Divisional. You may also merely
refile your application to keep it alive if you have happened to abandon it -
that is just a Continuation. Both the Divisional and the simple Continuation
now expire at maximum the same 20 years after the original filing.

 - there are still rules that you may have your patent reissued, but the
expiry is the same as for the original patent, and the reason would be that
you may have found a better wording for the claims than those issued. Wording
of claims is important, because infringement is determined by comparing the
allegedly infringing product or process with what the claims say.

The technical field that is most aware of the possibilities of prolonging the
protected life of an idea is the pharmaceutical field, and millions of
dollars are pushed into this. But the revenues from selling the stuff are so
great, that the investment in patenting is an uimportant burden.

Oh dear, imagine that I just wrote all the above advice for free!

Kind regards,

George