Re: [ARSCLIST] "Record Club" CD's redux

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Tom Fine wrote about "flimsier" discs, and Jerry Hartke responded:

> I would be surprised if bit jitter resulted in audible differences. High
> bit
> jitter usually produces small, short duration read errors that are easily
> corrected by the first level of CD-DA error correction.
>
> Electrical, optical, and mechanical quality is important, and it seems
> that
> comprehensive tests have not been conducted. If you wish, I would conduct
> such tests at no charge on two "identical" discs, one original label and a
> second that sounds worse. Our test results are traceable to the Philips
> lab.
> Our address is at www.mscience.com/contact.html
>
> Jerry
> Media Sciences, Inc.

----- now, the "flimsiest" of discs imagineable is no disc at all, i.e. no
transparent material (the polycarbonate alloy used) between the pits and the
reading head that has to focus on the land. This is the case when a (nickel)
stamper is being read. In order that the optics used for reading a
standardized CD with a specified ray path through the transparent material
can still be used, Audio Developments interpose a slab of glass (I think!) of
the correct optical path length between reading head and modulated surface in
their analyzers.

----- If it were imagineable that a flimsier (possibly meaning thinner?)
plastic body could be used for some commercial CDs, then the signal-to-noise
ratio would be much worsened, i.e. the high frequency signal would be
defective. So it would not really be a jitter question, but rather bad
detection. It is so long since I read the Red Book (a pirated copy) that I do
not remember clearly, but I do think that the thickness and refraction index
are specified in some manner.

----- it will be interesting to read what Jerry finds!

Kind regards,

George