Re: [ARSCLIST] Yet another great box set from Mosaic

I too would vouch for Bostic. In his "Why'd You Do It?" (1952) he
overdubs a minimalist call and response thing,
and would have had to have done so in half-track mono. When I played it
for Mike Biel he said that he'd never
heard anything like it; neither of us could figure out how it could've
been done in 1952.

And his playing is full of stuff that points forward to Free Jazz; it's
just the settings, selection of material
and short, singles length selection tends to draw away from the
innovative nature of his musicianship. Bostic was
a monster, nonetheless.

To those already mentioned, I'd like to add the tracks "Moonglow" and
"Smoke Gets in Your Eyes," the LPs "The Best of Bostic" and "Earl Bostic
Plays the Hits of the Roaring Twenties" - there are doubtless others, as
he was quite prolific.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental
language in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives