From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven Smolian
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 11:30 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Lieberman's Penelope

I'm organizing some old tapes.

I find I have a performance of Liebermann's opera Penelope.  It includes
Birgit Nilsson in th tirle role, confirmed by the German announcement which
gives out about half-wayint the cast listing.   My notes say it is Rosbaud
with the NDR and the performance is before 1962.

According to consulted sources, the premiere was in 1964 with Goltz, Szell,
the Vienna Phil and a somewhat different cast.

Have I misdated a later performance?  Is this a preliminary version? Is the
announcement a phony?  What gives?

Steve Smolian