Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: Sticky AGFA PEM 469

Charles:

I read the paper by Dr. Bertram years ago and understood the paper just
fine.  I have also spoken personally with Dr. Bertram on a number of
occasions.  I am, on the other hand, somewhat bemused about why you bring up
Dr. Bertram's paper on print-through in response to my query about the
existence of specific data.

The effects of elevated temperatures on print-through have been observed and
acknowledged for some time.  The paper by Dr. Bertram is quite good and you
do the community a disservice to imply that only someone with an advanced
degree in both mathematics and physics could possibly understand it.  Should
anyone wish a greater understanding of the print-through phenomenon, I
highly recommend reading it. It is quite good and quite easy to digest.
However, my earlier comment was not about print-through.  You stated in your
posting that you found a noticeable drop off of signal that you attributed
to baking.  I simply asked if you had any quantifiable data on the phenomena
that you stated you had observed: the drop off of signal, not print-through.
Print-through is a different phenomenon.

If you have the data, fine.  If you don't have the data, fine.  I'm not
saying it isn't possible.  I just said that, after significant looking,
neither I nor the technical commission could find any firm data on signal
loss due to baking- we found lots of data about print through in a wide
variety of circumstances- but that's not relevant to the specific question
asked!

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055
peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tape restoration and disaster recovery since 1983