Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Preservation Question

At 06:05 PM 2008-04-06, Tom Fine wrote:
I can't see how a lossy format like MP3 is even considered "archival." It should be discouraged as a preservation file format. I'm not sure lossless compressed formats are a good idea either, given the likelihood of more valuable content packed per disc drive, location, workstation, etc and simple probability thus making the data more vulnerable. Storage is cheap. Overlapping redundent storage is what I'd consider Digital Archiving 101, and included in that would be avoiding source-degrading things like lossy file formats. What I recommend to all my clients is, do the transfers high-resolution. Do your processing high-resolution. If you choose to save a final processed copy in lower resolution or lossy format, that's fine but keep the original transfer, it's worth a few hundred extra dollars per year in hard drives.

Hello, Tom,

The original poster explained that the files they were being given to archive were only available in MP3. While that may be a poor choice and the archivist can encourage the originating party to originate in WAV in the future, the fact of the matter is that people originate material that is deemed worthy of archiving on:
- MP3 originals (even the SD722 can do that along with FLAC and WAV)
- Microcassettes
- Stuzzi Memocord cassettes (rim drive)
- Minicassettes (rim drive)
- Standard cassettes
- Standard cassettes on broken recorders that are worse than rim drive

Need I go on. Unfortunately, the archivists are at the end of the pipeline and they need to make intelligent decisions about how to archive what they are given.

No, MP3 would not be what I would recommend to archive in, but if I were given files to archive and I was comfortable that the archiving entity would commit to carrying MP3 files forward as common file formats evolve, I would store the original MP3 files.

Others may feel that bumping up is mandatory, but I think it all depends on the committment from the trusted digital repository.

I think IASA TC-04 says to bump up, but I don't have time to look it up right now. I would certainly bump up some of the oddball compression formats from digital recorder pens or even the standardized

Here is what I wrote about DSS (the Olympus format) and others in August 2006
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/08/17/dss-and-other-compressed-digital-files-in-an-oral-history-archive/

Cheers,

Richard

-- Tom Fine