Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Preservation Question

On 06/04/08, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> There should be no additional loss converting the MP3 file to the WAV
> file. The information has already "taken the hit" when the MP3 file
> was made in the first place.

Not true, unfortunately. The decompression software also audibly affects
the sound quality.

> If one of the compressed formats is "safe" and the other isn't, cross
> conversion from one compressed format (Ogg/MP3) is NOT recommended as
> then you have the degradations of both compression schemes
> concatenated -- concatenation of compression is generally to be
> avoided.
>
> If you do not have support for both compressed formats, bump the
> one(s) you don't have support for to WAV. Otherwise, if they are
> supported compressed formats, leave them.

I would suggest that no computer data files are 100% safe, but compressed
files are certainly less safe than uncompressed.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx