Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Preservation Question

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Hello,

Brandon Burke wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Converting an accessioned archival MP3 file to WAV doesn't, in an of
> itself,
> mean creating
> a 24/96 derivative. And it sounds to me like you're jumping to that
> conclusion.
>
> In this case (Martha's original point), the issue is readability in the
> future: 10, 20, 50 years down
> the road. Of course, my guess is as good as anyone else's here but, i
> think
> conversion to WAV
> (16/44.1) still sounds like a pretty good idea..
>
> Brandon.

----- the real rationale being that the conversion from MP3 to a linear and
listenable file occurs NOW. We are obviously not thereby creating linear
audio, but what would come out of the MP3 system to be listened to. We get a
simple binary table of equidistant samples of something that will be
perceived as sound as long as our ears function the way they do. It is
inherently safer to convert now when MP3 is in vogue, rather than to wait to
decode later. The decoding from wav to sound is inherently simpler and
requires much less programming in case you have to reconstruct from basics. A
good wav file also requires some meta-data to make it truly useful, but that
does not interfere with the sampled content.

Best wishes,

George