Re: [ARSCLIST] Another discography question ... Bix Beiderbecke Columbia 78 albums

Hi Dick,

You wouldn't be able to enlighten me a little offlist about Rendition Records,and that Muriel Gaines EP I have ? I would love to be able to pick your brain sometime about calypso records,and artists sometimes,if I could sometime.I had forgotten that you were on this list here.

                                   Roger

Dick Spottswood <dick@xxxxxxxx> wrote: For the most part, prewar Columbia jazz reissues (including albums and
singles) were copied using original metal parts;  postwar sets were
usually dubbed.  If I recall, this was the case with Beiderbecke, except
that Whiteman's "Sweet Sue" was dubbed from a 12" to a 10" master.
ds

Tom Fine
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
04/03/2008 07:54 PM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[ARSCLIST] Another discography question ... Bix Beiderbecke Columbia 78
albums

OK, feeling lucky today after that quick Spike Jones success.

This question relates to the several late-78-era albums that Columbia put
out gathering Bix
Beiderbecke recordings. The albums generally had 4 x 2-side 10" 78's. My
question is, how were these
reissues made? Were they disk-to-disk transfers with new manufacturing
parts made or were they new
copies of original manufacturing parts?

-- Tom Fine