Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: Sticky AGFA PEM 469

Will:

> "A microwave oven should never be used as it heats small
> parts of the tape to very high temperature and may damage
> the tape and its magnetic characteristics."

Probably right for all magnetic tape but AGFA.

I just wish to point out that the microwave oven baking process was only
recommended by AGFA and developed by AGFA for their own tape.

As regards AGFA tape only some very small part of the production of
468/469 will ever develop sticky shed.

Most of the production is totally free from this problem.

I have been in contact with David Collins, ex A&M mastering engineer, to
get a copy of the AGFA tech memo describing their recommendation but he
unfortunately never took a copy for himself.

And a lot of things went into the dumpster when A&M mastering was killed
off so unless someone have an original or a copy we will just have to
wait to see what it was all about.

P/S BASF tape, any sort, will never develop sticky shed and I have never
ever seen any of it do so.

--
Best,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther