Re: [ARSCLIST] NY Times: Researchers Play Tune Recorded before Edison

I remember the description of the ticker tape machine in Gelatt's "The
Fabulous Phonograph,"
but have never seen the device or a representation of it. I have seen
the one that came in
between that one and the finished, 1877 phonograph though - it's here in
Michigan. This was
a dual turntable device that used square, flat copper plates that were
screwed down in place.

This device took telegraph key pulses from over a wire and engraved them
onto the copper plate.
I'm not sure how it actually worked - the model I saw was behind a glass
case, and it had the
square copper "records" placed on both turntables. But I think you were
supposed to take the
engraved record off the first turntable and move it over to the second,
where it would relay
the message elsewhere. The grooves on the copper records were easily
recognizable to the naked
eye as having "hill and dale" type pulses - I would love to hear them
played back.

This thing looks more like a "record player" than the 1877 phonograph
did. David Giovannini commented
to the press that Edison was the first to play back a record, but not to
record one, and this new
phonautograph recording was like having a photograph taken 17 years
before a proper camera was
invented. I agree, but add that Edison likewise discovered a method of
playback before he had a
record to play on it.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental
language in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives