Re: [ARSCLIST] Audiodisc acetates with the while filmy surface

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:05 PM, David Lennick wrote:

> I will gladly stand corrected, but in my experience a cleaning
> with Windex, followed quickly by its removal and a normal
> cleaning on the Monks, results in a playable disc and no damage,
> and I've cleaned hundreds of discs in this manner. Checking
> them a couple of years later may reveal a return of some of
> the palmitic acid, but not always. We began using Windex BECAUSE
> of its ammonia content (10%?) after Gilles St. Laurent recommended
> it a few years ago.

I mostly agree with David here.  I'm concerned with the additives
in Windex, which is why I advocate Clear Ammonia.  Not only
is Clear Ammonia better from the point of view that you know
what you are putting on the disc, but it's cheaper than Windex,
too.

A 2% solution of Clear Ammonia mixed with a disc cleaning solution
like Disc Doctor works extremely well, even on the heaviest
deposits of palmitic acid.

I feel much better about Disc Doctor plus 2% Clear Ammonia than
Windex.  The Disc Doctor plus 2% Clear Ammonia solution is not as
chemically strong as Windex (so less harsh on the laminate), and
still does the job just as well.

Ammonia is the active ingredient when it comes to cleaning
palmitic acid (basically a fatty acid, or "margarine").  You don't
need all the other stuff in Windex to clean your acetate discs.

Please - I implore folks to stop using Windex and switch to
a 2% diluted solution of Clear Ammonia mixed with your favorite
record cleaning solution.

I'll stop repeating myself - but this is IMPORTANT.

> As for playing a disc in whatever condition, you'll probably
> have more trouble with having to clean the stylus every couple
> of minutes than with doing actual damage to the grooves, and
> you'll end up with a very noisy transfer which you'll dispose
> of once you've cleaned the disc and tried again. But as others
> have pointed out, you need to be sure that the lacquer isn't
> beginning to flake. In that instance, yes--transfer first.

I agree with David on this.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
T. 408.221.2128