Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Stereo 1881 and 1931 (Was - Dynadoodoo

Steve Abrams wrote:
I have uploaded two files to Mediafire

One file, Bell Labs Keller, has two brief programmes on BBC Radio 3 c. 1981 about the Bell Labs experiments in the early 30s and includes a an extract in stereo. I am afraid that Arther Keller does not confirm my story about the Black Box. (74MB)

It seems that Mr. Keller (Dr. Keller?) makes a misrememberance. He states that Vitaphone discs were 16 inches in diameter and were made of shellac with abrasives. If memory serves correct, Vitaphone discs did NOT contain abrasives, and thus had a strictly limited life of about 20 plays.

The stereo recordings are quite interesting. I presume that this is a spaced pair. I would honestly love to hear the sound of Blumlein's work in England, but for reasons unknown to me the short extracts contained in EMI's Centennial box set have no separation at all. They don't "sound" stereo, and I've tried everything from phase inversion to channel reversing. Maybe I got a disc from a bad master. One would expect a "Blumlein Pair" recording to have depth, but not the Centennial CD.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago